travelnews: Meals on one day trips

When a traveler departs and returns the same day, meal expenses are
reimbursed only in the following examples.

Breakfast......When a traveler leaves their official station two or more
hours before the beginning of their regular work shift.

Dinner.....When a traveler returns to their official station two or more
hours after the end of their regular work shift.

NEW    NEW   NEW

Beginning March 1, 2003 we will start taxing any breakfast or dinner that
is reimbursed on a one day trip.  The IRS considers breakfast and dinner
allowances, figured on the basis of hours worked, such as those listed
above, to be taxable to the traveler.  If breakfast and dinner allowances
are paid, account code 28502-Overtime Meal Allowance-must be used.

Lunches on one day trips are still not reimbursable except in the examples
listed in the following web page.
http://baowww.uoregon.edu/Travel/travelreimbursement.htm

To view all TRAVELNEWS messages posted since October 31, 2001 visit our
archive at http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~travel/travelnews/index.html