travelnews: Cancellation of American Airlines Flights

MESSAGE FROM AZUMANO/AWAY TRAVEL

No doubt you have become aware of the extensive media coverage in recent days concerning American Airlines' cancellation of more than 2,000 flights while it continues to inspect the wiring on some of its jets-the same issue that caused it to scrub hundreds of flights two weeks ago. Airline officials said the flights would have averaged over 100 passengers, meaning that more than 200,000 travelers could have been left scrambling to book new flights. To add to the problem, Midwest Airlines has also grounded all of its MD80s and Alaska Airlines has canceled several flights for volunteer inspection of its few remaining MD80s.

Needless to say, this has impacted Azumano's operations as our front-line agents work to re-accommodate stranded passengers and to secure reservations for new bookings on already full aircraft. Exacerbating the situation was the fact that our online self booking tool, Travelport Classic, was experiencing a site outage due to a database server issue. The site is now restored, but as you might imagine, our agents have become a bit backlogged as a result of the mass grounding of planes for inspection and the Travelport outage, both of which were beyond our control.

Rest assured, we are working diligently to catch up and attend to all requests for reservations assistance, giving highest priority to emergency situations.  In the meantime, if you have an urgent situation or a request that requires immediate attention, please mark your email "urgent," or contact your Azumano agent(s) by phone.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Carolyn Wooley

University of Oregon

Travel Coordinator

cwooley@uoregon.edu